Jean Stapleton, best known as "Edith Bunker" on TV's "All In The Family", passed away in New York. She was 90.
Not only was she an actress of amazing skill and poise, but consider the obvious: There would never be an "All In The Family" today (discounting cartoons like "The Simpsons" or "Family Guy").
Every lefty PC pressure group would be screaming bloody murder about Archie's "hate speech" and every RW blabbermouth would be spittle-flecking mics everywhere about how "this show makes real Americans look stupid". (With subtle and probably not so subtle references to the show's "Hollywood elite producers", ie, Jews).
In reality, Archie was a lovable character, as was Edith. His daughter's husband, the leftist meathead, no. Edith balanced off her husband's reactionary nitwittery with common sense, as opposed to the dopey rhetoric spouted by the collegiate know it all. Which is how life is supposed to work and why it was the greatest TV show of all time.
Most Commented On
- BURN VALENCIA - March 9, 2014
- They claimed to represent the 99% - March 9, 2014
- No matter who posts it, - March 9, 2014
- I agree that government is corrupt and a big part of the problem - March 9, 2014
- Marcos and his point. - March 9, 2014
- No one needs to try and make progressives look bad - March 9, 2014
- I don't think SFBG has ever claimed to represent the majority - March 9, 2014
- Yep, population is what counts if the question is about - March 9, 2014
- You should ask that question if the Bay Guardian - March 9, 2014
- Think the poster meant - March 9, 2014