Staggering Hypocrisy

(12)
The root of all evil
media.npr.org

Apparently, the Republicans in Congress are railing against food stamps--fosters a "culture of dependency", they say.

A few things--most of the beneficiaries of TANF are children--who are dependents.

Secondly, who is more dependent on the government than a congressman?

Thirdly, also completely dependent on the government are the farms where food is grown or meat is herded. One such farmer is leading the charge in Congress against food stamps.

Fourth, "food stamps" are the biggest economic stimulation the government provides--about a buck seventy five for every buck spent on them. Contrast that with "weapons", where even the military wonders what benefit such spending does.

Beating up on people that have little to placate the misguided hatred of same that is at the heart of every reactionary would be considered "bullying" on my kid's schoolyard and cause to be expelled.

Expel these assholes now.

Comments

I love it when dreamy Johnny calls his opponents assholes!

Posted by Steve on Jun. 01, 2013 @ 10:58 am

Johnny is wrong, they aren't assholes....they're self-righteous and sanctimonious thieving assholes.

Posted by Bill on Jun. 01, 2013 @ 11:32 am

Johnny is wrong, they aren't aren't assholes.... they're self-righteous and sanctimonious thieving assholes.

Posted by Bill on Jun. 01, 2013 @ 11:30 am

"Lots of people lost their jobs and homes through no fault of their own--and must learn "self-reliance"--while the people that caused this situation "had to be rescued"."

That's a good point. The hipocracy abounds.

Posted by Larry on Jun. 01, 2013 @ 8:38 pm

We wouldn't need food stamps. Seriously, how many people out there are low-wage workers who work a full-time job but still qualify for food stamps? Or who would like to work full-time, but who get 29 hours a work of week so that their employer won't have to provide healthcare? If corporate America would actually provide a decent paycheck, far fewer people would need to use food stamps.

The other thing that drives me crazy is this notion that somehow everyone who uses food stamp benefits suddenly becomes dependent upon them for life. I've been on food stamps before. Most people I know have at some point or another. It's meant to provide a safety net when people are out-of-work or in low-wage work, but for many people, those situations aren't permanent. It's not like anyone is like "OH, $140 a month? I'm set for life now, guess I'll never work again!"

Grrr - these anti-worker douches drive me crazy.

Posted by HeartTenderloin on Jun. 02, 2013 @ 5:41 pm

paying someone for 29 hours a week enables an employer to bypass offering benefits, then clearly that is exactly what employers will do.

Blame the government for that.

I prefer food stamps to trying to control the price of food, but I prefer soup kitchens to either.

Posted by Guest on Jun. 03, 2013 @ 12:01 pm

That's right let's call food stamps what they are: pure corporate welfare.

They allow corporations like Wal-Mart to evade the consequences of paying starvation wages.

The consequnces being food riots and societal breakdown.

Wally world needs an orderly society of consumers to continue pedaling its shlocky junk.

Posted by pete moss on Jun. 04, 2013 @ 9:11 am

Somehow I always look to the family in my neighborhood that regularly pays for 2 carts of groceries at the 6th Ave Safeway; 1 with food stamps, 1 with cash. Then they loaded it into their BMW 7-series. Or my neighbors who have family members who live outside SF use their address so they can get benefits. There is so much cheating going on its pathetic. Social spending could be cut 30% if we went after cheaters. No different than people who cheat on their income taxes.

Posted by Richmondman on Jun. 03, 2013 @ 5:46 am

the rules say they should not. They also get sold for cash which is then used for drugs.

Food stamps are widely abused.

Posted by Guest on Jun. 03, 2013 @ 12:02 pm

The poors can have as many food stamps as their greasy little fists can clutch, as long as they just say "thank you" and otherwise stay out of my way.

Posted by Chromefields on Jun. 03, 2013 @ 11:56 am

It was decent stuff - a fish entrée with potatoes and vegetables.

He refused it and asked for cash instead, even though his sign said he wanted "money for food".

Next time, it's going in the trashcan.

Posted by Guest on Jun. 03, 2013 @ 12:04 pm

Hey Johnny, I know you live in LA, and I know writers hate when somebody says: Hey Johnny you oughta write about.....

But hey Johnny you oughta write about the oversize vehicle ban the city of SF wants to implement.

This is exceedingly cruel and callous legislation that will cause devastation in the lives of several thousand people in SF.

It totally sums up what a heartless, money obsessed dump Frisco has become.

And SFBG has totally ignored the whole thing.

Posted by pete moss on Jun. 04, 2013 @ 9:04 am

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.